If it doesn't work, try this

Have a question about your Creek or your generators, refrigerators and other related electrical/mechanical questions? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: Executive Board, Regional Directors, Past Presidents

Re: If it doesn't work, try this

Postby sody » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:51 am

Randy, you are spot on about the Eternabond tape. We managed to get a small hole in the roof of our other Creek so I bought a roll. It can be a little tricky to work with. You have to have the surface very clean and you need to apply plenty of pressure to get a good bond with the roof. But once its down, it stays down.
I think two years ago Cedar Creek passed out a tube of the Dicor sealant to FROG attendees. I used it a couple of times and I had good luck with a "caulk saver" which is a gizmo you put into the open end of a caulk tube. I actually used the last of that tube after we got back from Maine. We didn't have any tears but there were a few spots where the caulking looked suspect. So I cleaned and caulked over those spots.
John & Laverne Soetebier
2013 30RL, 2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison
Americus, KS
sody
President

Postby Marjon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 pm

I don't know if this is the right thread for what I'm about to say, but I'm sure if I'm wrong you'll understand.

This past weekend, I went with our oldest son to pick up his 60 inch Samsung 3D TV from the repair shop. This TV would be about 4 years old.

The bill was $400.00 and some odd dollars ( Canadian ) for the repair. Our son asked if the part was an up grade, and he was told that there is no such thing as an up grade, you get the exact same part that failed as your replacement. Needles to say we were shocked, but what are you going to do? The man was being honest and that is hard to find in this day and age.

As we prepared to take the TV out to my sons truck ( nice Dodge 4 door) the repairman asked if we had something to cover the TV with, as if we got one drop of water on this TV it could ruin the whole TV!! I thought the man was kidding, but he assured me he wasn't and thus you have my post.

I have never heard of something like this, and if anyone on the club site has., please speak up as I don't want anybody to get bit by this and thus if it is wrong, SAMSUNG should not be hurt by this either. I should add, the TV in our bedroom is a Samsung and I bought it and love it.

John
Marjon
2014 36ft CKTS
Trailair Pin
Equa-Flex Flexible Equalizer by Trailair
2004 GMC Duramax 2500 HD 4x4,BD exhaust brake
Maggie..The Mexican Terrorist
ImageImage
Marjon
1K posting member

Postby BandJCarm » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:36 pm

First, I'm floored that folks FIX tv's anymore! Seriously. You can't find anyone here.

Second, I don't know about 'one drop of water'.........sounds dubious.

Heck, I've spit all over our tv last few years trying to watch the Razorbacks flop all over the field/court. LOL
Bill and Jeannie
Central Arkansas
2016 GMC Denali 3500 Dually
2017 CC 36CKTS

BandJCarm
1K posting member

Postby Randy & Nancy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Marjon wrote:I don't know if this is the right thread for what I'm about to say, but I'm sure if I'm wrong you'll understand.

This past weekend, I went with our oldest son to pick up his 60 inch Samsung 3D TV from the repair shop. This TV would be about 4 years old.

The bill was $400.00 and some odd dollars ( Canadian ) for the repair. Our son asked if the part was an up grade, and he was told that there is no such thing as an up grade, you get the exact same part that failed as your replacement. Needles to say we were shocked, but what are you going to do? The man was being honest and that is hard to find in this day and age.

As we prepared to take the TV out to my sons truck ( nice Dodge 4 door) the repairman asked if we had something to cover the TV with, as if we got one drop of water on this TV it could ruin the whole TV!! I thought the man was kidding, but he assured me he wasn't and thus you have my post.

I have never heard of something like this, and if anyone on the club site has., please speak up as I don't want anybody to get bit by this and thus if it is wrong, SAMSUNG should not be hurt by this either. I should add, the TV in our bedroom is a Samsung and I bought it and love it.

John

John,
The circuit board(s) in your son's TV are nothing like what we experienced in our younger years. They are now robotically assembled in a lab that is actually cleaner than a hospital operating room using what is called surface mount devices/technology. Doing component repair on most of the tiny IC's on these circuit boards without many thousands of dollars in specialized equipment is not possible. Therefore, when a component on a particular circuit board fails we pull it out and buy a new circuit board from the manufacturer. I made the photo below of a small section of a circuit board that I recently pulled from a flat screen TV that suddenly died. Note the rectangular piece in the middle that is smaller than a postage stamp. This specialized integrated circuit chip has 125 individual pins soldered to the surface of the board. The space between the pins is as narrow as a single hair. If even one drop of water falls on these pins chances are the IC will fail. Even if the TV is off and a drop of water falls on the pins and evaporates the minerals in the water that are left behind can cause a short between the pins and ruin the IC. Fortunately, the boards are usually well protected with covers to prevent water contact. No more tubes, transistors or wires on these babies and even a drop of water in the wrong place will ruin them.
Attachments
smd IC.JPG
smd IC.JPG (318.62 KiB) Viewed 116 times
Randy, Nancy and Oscar.
Mechanicsville, VA
2009 CC 34SATS
2004 Volvo VNL670 Custom Conversion. 12.1L, 465 HP, 1,625 foot pounds of torque.
ARS - WB4BZX
Region 2 Directors
Randy & Nancy
Region 2 Director

Postby Marjon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 am

Randy-------thank you sir for taking the time to explain what happens. I had no reason to doubt the man's professional opinion but was stunned to hear it.

Back in the late nineties when I was still working, an engineer from MCI (Motor Coach Industries ) in Winnipeg Manitoba was addressing our maintenance department. He started talking about this new engine that was being placed in the coaches at the time, and he warned the maintenance managers to make sure the funnels used for adding oil and transmission fluid were clearly marked.If one drop of transmission fluid got into this new engine or even the residue from a transmission fluid funnel, it would destroy the engine. I was amazed that such a thing could happen, and amazed that they would even build and sell such an engine. Greyhound's engines are not cheap and some employee's do get mad.

John
Marjon
2014 36ft CKTS
Trailair Pin
ImageImage
Marjon
1K posting member

Postby Happy Campers » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:41 pm

Wow! Randy is a plethora of information. My brain hurts, but I'm printing it all off to save for future references if needed. Love my CCRVOC family and their wealth of information and helpful ideas. =D>

Marla
David and Marla
Baxter - our low rider mini-dachshund
2008 37CKQS Custom CC
2010 GMC 2500 HD Duramax
Happy Campers
1K posting member

Postby Randy & Nancy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Happy Campers wrote:Wow! Randy is a plethora of information. My brain hurts, but I'm printing it all off to save for future references if needed. Love my CCRVOC family and their wealth of information and helpful ideas. =D>

Marla

Thank you Marla. I sometimes wonder if anyone reads.......

FWIW - My mother is an accomplished singer and musician. She was highly regarded in the fashion industry and was such a good seamstress and designer that she made many of her new wardrobes. Me? I can't carry a tune in a bucket, I don't know a C note from any other note and can't sew anything but medical stitches. My Dad was a very talented engineer with the Atomic Energy Commission in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. He was my mentor and any talent I may have was undoubtedly inherited from him and not my Mom. When I received my Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering I made him very proud. Engineering is an extremely broad field and there is significant cross over from electrical to mechanical, etc. Though I struggled, I loved Physics, Math and Chemistry. How things work has been a quest all my life. I don't believe its right to "put a candle under a basket". If God blesses you with a talent or skill you should share it with others - which is why I elected to teach. Please don't ever ask me about music, art, poetry or literature - I'm as dumb as a rock in those areas.
Randy, Nancy and Oscar.
Mechanicsville, VA
2009 CC 34SATS
2004 Volvo VNL670 Custom Conversion. 12.1L, 465 HP, 1,625 foot pounds of torque.
ARS - WB4BZX
Region 2 Directors
Randy & Nancy
Region 2 Director

Postby Catfish » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:36 am

Randy,
That is a great history lesson. We will be near Dollywood mid November and we are planning to tour Oak Ridge about the 15th. What department did your father work in? After that we will be moving on to Nashville to visit family and spend Thanksgiving there. We hope to meet up with Ray and Linda while we are in their neck of the woods...
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry & Cathy + Ruby
2013 36CKTS
2006 F350 Crew Cab
Catfish

Postby Randy & Nancy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:31 pm

Catfish wrote:Randy,
That is a great history lesson. We will be near Dollywood mid November and we are planning to tour Oak Ridge about the 15th. What department did your father work in? After that we will be moving on to Nashville to visit family and spend Thanksgiving there. We hope to meet up with Ray and Linda while we are in their neck of the woods...
Cheers,
Jerry

A key event/project in my Dad's life is written here. Much of his role with the Atomic Energy Commission was unknown to me until the late 90's - everything going on in Oak Ridge was top secret.
http://knoxblogs.com/atomiccity/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2008/06/munger-buried-treasure
While in Oak Ridge visit the American Museum of Science & Energy and try to take one of the bus tours that go to the Oak Ridge National Laboratory where you can see parts of the original Graphite Reactor that processed the fuel for the first Atomic Bomb.

Back to "If it doesn't work, try this."

WE HAVE NAILS COMING OUT OF THE WALLS OF OUR CREEK - IS IT FALLING APART :shock: ?

NO. :D
When Cedar Creek built your camper they glued both the outside and inside walls to the aluminum wall studs with a very durable elastic adhesive sealant. The outside walls were held in place with an assortment of special clamps until the adhesive bonded. Inside walls were pressed against the aluminum studs after the adhesive sealant had been applied. Small knurled brads or nails were driven through the inside wall paneling and into the aluminum studs with an air powered tool to hold the walls in place while the adhesive sealant cured. The majority of nails are at the paneling seams and edges where they are often covered with a seam tape that matches the wall finish. Once the sealant cures there is no more need for the nails.

As you bump and roll down the highway there is an expected amount of movement of the wall structure that may cause some of the nails to work loose from the aluminum wall studs and poke out under or through the seam tape or along the edges where the slide gaskets make contact. Protruding nail tips have been known to cause damage to the slide out room gaskets so occasionally check where the slide gasket contacts the inside wall by moving a slide in no more than a foot and visually looking at the wall behind the top and sides of the slide. Since the nails are no longer needed, I pulled any popped nails out on our Creek using this type of tool so I would not damage the wall paneling: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Non-slip-Pincers-Pliers-Nippers/dp/B01B1N197M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508200954&sr=8-2&keywords=nail+puller+tool

Several CCRVOC owners have covered the seam tape (and popping nails) with thin wood strips attached with glue or more brads. Nails under these wood strips rarely pop out.

Bottom line – the appearance of these protruding nails is no cause for alarm. No emergency exists and your wall is not going to come loose. The “popped” nails are just an expected nuisance and can be removed.
Randy, Nancy and Oscar.
Mechanicsville, VA
2009 CC 34SATS
ARS - WB4BZX
Region 2 Directors
Randy & Nancy
Region 2 Director

Postby Marjon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:23 am

Randy ------our blacksmith used a tool similar to that when trimming hooves. Don't have one of those, put that on the list for Christmas.

Thanks

John
Marjon
2014 36ft CKTS
Trailair Pin
ImageImage
Marjon
1K posting member

Postby Whooboy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:57 pm

I put this in another thread, but I'm going to try it here, too. I wish there was a way we could catalog the "If it doesn't work..." thread. Putting things in serially in the same thread is going to make things hard, if not impossible, to find after a few months. Can we have individual threads for each subject? Just wondering.
Pete and Jane Brandon
Jack & Ted
Las Cruces, NM
2009 36 CKTS
2015 Ford F350 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab Super Duty
ImageImage
Whooboy
Region 8 Director

Postby Randy & Nancy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:33 pm

Marjon wrote:Randy ------our blacksmith used a tool similar to that when trimming hooves. Don't have one of those, put that on the list for Christmas.

Thanks

John

Yes, I remember that too. Also used (somehow) for fencing. The beauty of this tool for pulling out the small protruding brads is as you rock it down it does not mar the surface of the wall paneling like a regular pair of pliers or a hammer. Actually, hammer claws do not grip the brad for pulling very well. Then, if it does not want to pull out just squeeze the handles tighter and cut the fool thing off. Of course, the head of the brad will go flying and bury itself in the carpet. But not to worry, you will find it the first time you walk on the carpet barefooted. Please don't ask me how I know all this. :(

Pete - hopefully David or Laverne can do something to make your idea happen. Maybe a closed-to-posting thread that a given administrator could cut and paste content posted here but leaving out this type of commentary. Or, as you suggested, a new topic "If it doesn't work..." created with individual threads added for each item. I have been putting some of my stuff on here to get the thread started but look forward to other Creeker's also sharing what they have learned. In my own mind, I "think" putting together a list of essential tools to carry would be a good item to start - and then others could add on any missing tools or parts based on their own experiences. Same is is true for any spare parts or consumable items it is a good idea to have on board. Sharing our combined knowledge base will be great for new Creeker's - maybe even old ones. You have a lot of experience that you should share here. Much of what I have learned came from you guys helping me when something broke or just talking around a campfire during a rally.
Randy, Nancy and Oscar.
Mechanicsville, VA
2009 CC 34SATS
ARS - WB4BZX
Region 2 Directors
Randy & Nancy
Region 2 Director

Previous

Return to Tech Issues